This sukiyaki don is another staple meal in our house. Don is short for donburi which simply indicates it is a meat, fish or vegetable dish served over rice, in one bowl. It is super easy, super, super quick and very delicious. It is a couple of minutes of preparation and then very quick to cook. The longest aspect of the dish, by far, is cooking the rice. We always serve this, and any other Japanese dishes with koshihikari rice from Japan. This is a seriously delicious meal and great with some steamed vegetables with gomae drizzled over the top as a side dish. We regularly have broccolini, renkon (lotus root) and edamame. Another indispensable accompaniment is shichimi togarashi. This is a spice mix, consisting of 7 different spices, usually red chilli, dried orange peel, white sesame seeds, black sesame seeds, nori (seaweed) flakes, poppy seeds and ginger. It adds a bit of heat and flavour, and is really complimentary to the sweetness of the sukiyaki sauce.
500g beef (we usually use wagyu or rolled beef from Asian grocer)
2 large leeks
Rice to serve
60g sugar (we use raw caster)
80ml soy sauce
160ml cooking sake
This dish is a Super Sake Boy specialty. He usually cuts the beef before he does anything else as the beef is really thin and easier to cut frozen. If you then let it sit while you cut and wash the leeks, it will be ready to go when you are.
- Cut the leeks in half, wash them really well and slice them moderately finely.
- Cut the beef into strips.
- Whisk the eggs well in a bowl.
- Heat a little oil in a fry pan or wok and fry the beef over a medium heat until cooked through.
- Add the leek and fry.
- Measure out the soy and the sake in a measuring jug. Sprinkle the sugar directly over the other ingredients. Add the sauce to the pan.
- After the leeks soften, turn off the heat. (You can cover to make this step quicker, but it is not necessary.
- Add the eggs.
- Cook the eggs for as long as it takes to get to your desired firmness. I like my eggs semi raw, but that is not for everyone.
- Serve meat on top of koshihikari rice and sprinkle with shichimi.